Heathland Radio is now available for everyone to enjoy! It is radio made for us â€“ and made by us
Welcome to Programme 13!
Welcome to Heathland Radio programme 13. We would like to introduce our new year 4 radio team, Rachel, Ronnie, Tabasum, Aashna, Taha, Femi, Charvi, Ananya and Athi. Everything you hear in this programme has been researched, written and presented to you by the radio team and weâ€™re sure you will agree they have done a great job!
The number in the square bracket indicates the start of each item but if you donâ€™t have time to listen to the whole programme you can use them to skip to your favourite bit.
- Introduction:Â [0:00]
- Official Garden Opening: let us take you back to the end of the summer term when Chris Collins the Blue Peter Gardener came to Heathland School to officially open the new rejuvenated school garden and outdoor classroom [1:00]
- Heathland News: the latest Heathland News researched and presented to you by Rachel and Taha [6:03]
- Forest School: have you ever wondered what Forest School is?Â Well here is your chance to find out more. Femi , Aashana and Tabasum invited Jan Boresta, who runs a Forest School in the woodland at the back of All Saints Church in Harrow Weald, to come and tell them all about Forest School [10:07].
- Camouflage Competition Results: from our last programme. We asked Miss Caswell how she decided the winner from so many brilliant entries [19:15].
- New Heathland Radio Competition:Â Ananya and Charvi introduce the SUPER new competition with details of how to enter [22:00]
- Sports News: all the latest sports news bought to you by Ronnie and Athi including the latest news on the Federation football team.
Please let us know if there is anything you would like us to include in the next programme by emailing us at email@example.com. Thank you for listening!
Welcome to Programme 12!
Hello and welcome to Heathland Radio Programme 12. Are you looking for something to keep you busy this summer? Well look no further! We have lots to share with you all researched, written and presented to you by our year 4 radio team Saba, Diya, Shayan, Najma, Shaurya, Dennis, Rayal, Acksana and Vithus.
As always the numbers in the square bracket indicates the start of each item, so you can visit a particular item in the programme if you donâ€™t have time to listen to it all at once.
- Heathland News:Â All the latest news from Heathland researched and brought to you by Dennis and VithusÂ [0:00]
- Harrow Reading Challenge: Najma and Shaurya interview Jo Payne from Harrow Library Services to find out about the summer reading challenge which will be running over the summer holidays. [5:20]
- Heathland Radio Competition: : Do you know what camouflage is? Listen here to find out more and how to enter the latest Heathland competition [10:21]
- Interview with Mrs Goldsmith: As Mrs Goldsmith retires after 25 years at Heathland, Diya and Saba ask her if she would share some of Heathland memories with us [12:39]
- Sports Report: Dennis and Vithus bring us the latest sports news and ask Mr Deanus about the latest on the school football team [18:52]
Please let us know if there is anything you would like us to include in the next programme by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Thank you for listening!
Welcome to Programme 11!
Hello and welcome to this the latest in our radio adventures here at Heathland. Programme 11 is packed full of great stuff, all of it researched, written and presented by this termâ€™s Year 4 radio group Maanas, Aaliyah, Shaliyah, Arian, Apinan, Cobby, Arav, Sheeza, Oskar and Abesha.
As always the numbers in square brackets indicate where each item begins so if you only have a little time you can find each item and listen to it separately â€“ we hope you enjoy the programme!
Each item begins at the time in square brackets.
- Heathland Secrets: Maanas and Aaliyah present this exclusive interview with Mr Syd Dean who went to our school 80 years ago. He tells us all about life as a child right here on Eastcote Lane during the Second World War. [0:00]
- The Heathland School History Quiz: with Shaliyah and Arian. Mrs Edwards and Mr Nathwani go up against Mrs Goldsmith and Mr Ratling to test their knowledge of our schoolâ€™s history. Why donâ€™t you play along with them? [12.00]
- Heathland News: with Apinan and Shaliyah. All the latest news from our school. [16.40]
- Heathland Competition: Find out who won the competition to write a story in 100 words and hear the winning entry with Cobby and Apinan [21.00]
- Rights Respecting Quiz: Maira, Riya, Arav and Sheeza persuaded Miss Caswell and Mr Deanus to compete against each other to see how well they know the Pocket Book of Childrenâ€™s Rights. Miss Caswell is convinced sheâ€™s going to win by Mr Deanus is the leader of the Rights Respecting Steering Group â€“ who do you think wins? [24.15]
- Sports Report: Oskar and Abesha interview Miss Jenkins about all the sports news leading up to the summer holidays [33.00]
Welcome to Programme 10!
We have secrets, competitions, school news including an exclusive tour of our new outdoor classroom, Heathland sports report and a policeman in this programme. What more could you ask for?
As usual the square brackets indicate where each item begins. If you donâ€™t have a whole 30 minutes spare to listen to the programme in one go, you can find each item using the slider above and listen to them one at a time.
Each item begins at the time in square brackets.
- Missing Children: Shaliyah and Arian had heard about children going missing on the news and they wanted to talk to a policeman about it. Hear what happened when they invited Sergeant Stagg into the Heathland Radio studio. [0:00]
- Heathland Secrets: Aaliyah and Maanas have been looking into the history of our school. They found some interesting secrets but theyâ€™re not going to tell you yet. Theyâ€™ve made a quiz instead: hear the questions in this programme and the answers in the next one. [7:00]
- Heathland News: Oskar and Abesha get to look around the soon-to-be-opened outdoor classroom and discover which creature has arrived in our new pond. They also talk to Mr Young from the Royal Horticultural Society to try and find out what we have to do to be successful in becoming an RHS partner school. [9:30]
- Heathland Competition: In fact, more than one. We announce the winner of Michael Rosenâ€™s competition to write the shortest sentence using all the letters of the alphabet. Then Arav and Sheeza launch the next one â€“ listen in to find out what you have to do to win a prizeâ€¦ [19:30]
- Sports Report: vApinan and Cobby talk to Mr Deanus about the Federation football teamâ€™s first season together and discovers his ambitions for the next one. Letâ€™s just say heâ€™s aiming high![23:00]
Please let us know by emailing email@example.com if thereâ€™s anything youâ€™d particularly like us to do and you might find your idea in the next programme. Thanks for listening!
Weâ€™ve got an extra special programme for you this time: this is the first ever Heathland Radio programme that is in two languages!
For this programme only we wanted to explore whether we could discover what phonics is all about and how it is taught to us here at Heathland â€“ and as an extra challenge we decided to do it in English and Tamil!
Mrs Gohil came up with the idea â€“ this is what she said:
â€˜I hope youâ€™re as thrilled about this programme as I am. Children get really excited when it comes to learning phonics at Heathland School and I really wanted parents to share this experience.
It was really about helping parents to understand what phonics is and how they can support their children in learning phonics at home.
I hope that parents will enjoy listening to this programme and support their children in the development of language and reading through phonics!â€™
The English version of the programme comes first and the Tamil version can be found by moving the slider to 6.30. Happy listening!
This programme is almost entirely about one subject: the poet and writer Michael Rosen who came to visit us at the end of Autumn term. We have our usual news and sports report but he does just about everything else!
Hear his wise words about writing poetry, what he thinks the world would be like without stories and all about his life including where he likes writing his poetry â€“ no other schools have been able to have this, weâ€™re really lucky and heâ€™s so interesting to listen to. Tell us what you think.
Each item begins at the time in square brackets.
- Michael Rosen Interview: Vivek, Tia, Tayeb and Daniya ask the questions.Â If you don’t have a lot of time youÂ can hear this exclusive interview with Heathland Radio in two parts.Â The first half finishes at 10:05 so you can listen up to there one day and then from that point the next time.Â [0:00]
- Heathland News: with Madesh and Ali. [17:55]
- Heathland Radio Competition: the Michael Rosen challenge: Enter the latest competition set by Michael Rosen.Â You have to write the shortest sentence possible using all the letters of the alphabet. Michael gave the example ‘The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. You are allowed to use the same letter more than once but you can’t use any of the words from his example except ‘the’ and ‘over’. You can enter by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by putting your entry into the box in the Music Room.Â Don’t forget to include your name and class. The winner will get a prize!. [20:30]
- Results of the Heathland Radio Joke Competition: with Mahdi.Â [22:00]
- Sports Results:Â Emmanuel talks to Miss Jenkins about the latest High 5 match [24:40]
Don’t forget to let us know if you have suggestions for anything you would like to hear – this is your Radio Station!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Heathland Radio!!
This is the first programme for Heathland Radio that has been produced by Year 4 pupils. They have done everything: coming up with ideas for items, researching them, thinking of questions to ask interviewees, writing scripts and then recording it all.
I hope once you’ve heard it you’ll agree with me that they’ve done an incredible job. As well as news and sport from across the school you’ll hear why there are at least two things that should be on your wish list leading up to Christmas…not gifts exactly but things you can do. Listen in to find out more.
We’re already working on programme 8 in which we’ll announce the winner of our joke competition. The deadline is the 13th December – send yours in now and you could hear it on our next programme and win a prize. You can email your joke to email@example.com or put it in the Heathland Radio joke competition box in the music room.
Thanks for listening!
Kirsty and the Heathland Radio Team
In this programme :
- Heathland News: Heathland News with Riya and Tia. [1.13]
- Please don’t stop the music!: with Ali, Daniya and Maira[5.10!]
- Heathland Competition: send us your favourite joke and the winner will go into our next programme’s Christmas Cracker. [13.25]
- Meet the Teacher: Mahdi, Maira and Madesh meet Mrs Edwards. [14.05]
- Be Eco!:Â with Emmanuel and VivekÂ [20.10]
- Sports News: Tayeb and Ali talk to out new PE chief, Miss Jenkins and Mr Deanus as he launches the new Federation football team. [24.30]
Itâ€™s the summer! Weâ€™ve got some exciting stuff to keep you refreshed through the sun and the thunderstorms.
We go on a trip to Kingswood to find out what happened there this year; we find out all about Mrs Hale in Meet the Teacher â€“ bet youâ€™d never guess what her hobby is â€“ and while weâ€™re on the subject of guessing, we finally reveal which member of Heathland school staff recently spent the weekend in prison! If you donâ€™t know what weâ€™re talking about, you need to listen to programme 5…
…and for those of you thinking about what itâ€™ll be like to move up a year in September; weâ€™ve been thinking about that too. Have a listen to our Moving Up feature to remember what it felt like to go up a class when you were little and some thoughts about coping with the changes from Year 6.
Thereâ€™s lots else to hear too so grab yourself an ice cream/some shade/an umbrella and listen on.
In this programme :
- Heathland News: researched and written by Vanessa and Savraj, read by Tanya and Savraj. [0.00]
- Heathland Secret: Yes â€“ we finally reveal which teacher has just been to prison…Mahananth and Sajagan lead the investigation…blindfolded! [weâ€™re not telling you where this is in the programme...listen to find it!]
- Moving Up: We discuss moving up a year with Heathland children in three year groups that are making particularly special changes. Dylan talks to Anshi and Aarna who will no longer be the youngest in the school as they move from Reception class to Year 1; , Kader speaks to Kanye and Liu who are moving up to Key Stage 2 in Year 3 and Savraj speaks to Year 6â€™s Abirami and Kivraj who are leaving for High School. [7.25]
- Meet the Teacher: Tanya, Dylan and Kader meet Mrs Hale and hear about her most embarrassing moment and much else too. [13.06]
- Heathland Report: What happened at Kingswood this year? [18.25]
- Meet the School council: We find out what itâ€™s like being on the school council in the latest in our behind-the-scenes series. [24.03]
- Sports Report: Mano presents a bumper sports report including all the latest football news and reflections on sports day from Jenna. [31.15]
For this, our fifth programme we took our inspiration from international spy James Bond and here’s why:
We tell you a massive Heathland Secret – and this time we set you the challenge of discovering whose it is!
We interrogate our school Governors – with questions sent in by you.
We get to know Miss Jenkins with lots of charming questions in our new feature, Meet The Teacher.
We research the facts about our favourite author, Roald Dahl, including which James Bond film he wrote. Then we find some fun ways of sharing them with you.
We sniff out the story about school sports day and find out more about the teacher who runs it.
And as well as our usual news and sports reports we also have our own theme tune in the form of the results of the Heathland Radio Singing Competition. Hear the finalists sing!
We hope you enjoy the programme. Don’t forget to let us know if there’s anything you particularly want us to do or if you want to comment on a programme, just email on firstname.lastname@example.org
In this programme :
- Meet the Teacher: Jenna, Ajmal, Mahananth and Sajagan meet Miss Jenkins [0.00]
- Roald Dahl Quiz and Fun Facts: Vanessa, Kader and Ragithan quiz Roald Dahl fans Deago and Hasnain and then present Fun Facts in 30 seconds [5.40]
- Heathland News: with Tanya and Jenna [11.00]
- Heathland Secrets [16.20]
- Heathland Competition:Â Aingaran and Mano hear the finalists in the singing competition and – along with Mr Smith as a third judge – decide the result [16.55]
- Behind the Scenes: Meet the Governors Dylan, Savraj and Vanessa meet three of our Governors Lynne Malzard, Ayha Khanom and Una Cloherty – and put your questions to them [27.54]
- Heathland Sports: with Savraj, Aingaran and Mano [35.55]
This programme marks a double celebration. The Federation Music Festival, which happened in the Spring Term, was a celebration both of the creation of our Federation â€“ the bringing together of Heathland and Whitefriars Schools â€“ and also a celebration of all the music we play.
In this programme you can hear from all of the percussion workshops that happened during the week. The radio team went to all four of them: Gamelan, West African Drumming, Samba and Body Percussion. So if you want to know what happened there or you donâ€™t know what any of them are â€“ or even what percussion is â€“ listen and find out.
We also interview Mr Spruce about the ideas behind creating the Federation of Heathland and Whitefriars and what itâ€™s done for our schools. He tells us about what music means to him and why he is annoying!
There are lots of other things to hear including Heathland News and Sport â€“ we hope you have as much fun listening to the programme as we had making it.
If youâ€™d like to hear any, or all, of the fantastic Final Concert which took place at Whitefriars at the end of the Festival, please find the link here on the Heathland Radio website.
In this programme :
- What Does Music Mean to You? a few of you tell us[1:45]
- Is Music Important? Zaahi has been doing some research.[2:10]
- Gamalan /workshop Hasnain and Deago went to Whitefriars to take part and interview workshop leader and Gamelan expert Mike Simpson.[4:25]
- Did Mr. Smith survive?? Gapilan, Khushi, Aadarsha and Rahma find out what it was like organising the Federation Music Festival and whether there were any surprises for him, musical or otherwise. [10:25]
- Samba workshop with Raul Dâ€™Oliveira - Kedaija and Nabiha went to find out more about the infectious Brazilian rhythms and what Samba does for you beyond music. [14.30]
- Heathland News with Khushi and Sujan. [19.25]
- West African Drumming Workshop with Becky Brown Deago and Hasnain explore the Jembo. [20.50]
- Heathland Report: The Federation Amani, Susmitha and Richie talk to Mr Spruce about the Federation at 6 months old and what itâ€™s like to be a headteacher. [25.10]
- Body Percussion with Ollie Turner what is Body Percussion? Join Kedaija to discover more. [31.35]
- Heathland Sports Zaahi gives us the sports news and talks to Rahma, Aadarsha, Nabiha and Richie about the Heathland Hi 5 team results. [35.45]
- Listen Out And listen out for our musical sign-off…[39.20]
Thanks for listening!
Hello and welcome to Heathland Radioâ€™s third programme! There has been so much going on in the last half term that this programme is packed full of some of the fun things that have been happening at Heathland – and has details about some of the great things to come.
In this programme:
- Heathland News with Zaahi and Rahma
- Federation Music Festival Preview The Federation Music Festival was great! Our next programme will be all about it. But first, Nabiha and Amani talked to Mr Smith ahead of the festival to give you a taster of what you will hear in the next programme and manage to make him speechless with their last question!
- All About Advertising Rahma and Zaahi discuss the pros and cons with Mrs Goldsmith
- Heathland Competition : Aadarsha and Hasnain reveal the winner of the latest competition â€“ to design an advert for Heathland School. Hear the winnerâ€™s advert!
- We Are Obsessed By.. Susmitha and Khushi find out all there is to know about something they canâ€™t get enough of. Have a listen: how quickly can you guess what it is?
- French Week Report Sujan, Richie, Gapilan, Hasnain and Aadarsha hear from Ms Oâ€™Brien about the importance â€“ and fun – of French
- Rules for Living Following on from last programmeâ€™s â€™20 things to do before you leave Heathlandâ€™, The Heathland Radio team have created some suggestions about what we should and shouldnâ€™t do when weâ€™re grown up â€“ and set them to music!
- Sports Report Deago hears about the final match of the football season and Kedaija talks to Miss Elgey about Hi 5 as the first couple of matches are played
Thanks for listening!
This is the second programme made by Heathland Radioâ€™s first â€” pioneering! â€” group of young journalists and producers. Thank you to Kiera, Baasim, Altin, Vanessa, Shakeel, Natalia, Habeeb, Sarah, Gowtham, Fatima, Ivan, Rowan and Urvi for all their hard work. Thank you too to everyone who we interviewed and who appeared as our guests.
So sit back, relax and listen to our second programme, but have a think as you listen about all the different ways we tell stories in this programme.
Sometimes we let the people we interview tell the story all by themselves, like in the Working at Christmas feature. Even though we asked them lots of questions, it isnâ€™t always necessary to keep our questions in the final radio piece â€” itâ€™s a bit like a book or a story told almost entirely through dialogue.
At other times we not only take part in the story ourselves, like in our Uniform Debate, but we can also be narrators at the same time. That sounds a bit complicated but have a listen and youâ€™ll see what we mean.
And sometimes a good oldâ€”fashioned chat can reveal all kinds of things â€” listen out for this half termâ€™s Heathland Secret!
Thereâ€™s lots more to hear too â€” we hope you enjoy it. And keep your suggestions coming in for the next programme, we start work in the new year.
In this programme:
- Heathland News selected, written and read by Rowan and Urvi
- Headteacher for the Day Competition results with Fatima
- Heathland Secrets with Ivan and Gowtham
- Working at Christmas feature with Vanessa, Altin, Natalia and Habeeb
- 20 things to do before you leave Heathland The Heathland Radio team
- Heathland Report: School Uniform with Sarah, Shakeel, Baasim and Kiera
- Interview with Emmanuel, a headteacher from Uganda with Natalia, Habeeb and Vanessa
- Heathland Style! written and performed by Mano, Diego and Thas
- Sports Report by Altin
- Match Report with Ivan and Aingaran
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas performed by the Heathland Choir
To listen to our previous programme please listen below:
All the latest news from Heathland researched and brought to you by Dennis and Vithus
have you ever wondered what Forest School is? Well here your chance to find out more. Femi, Aashna and Tabasum invitedÂ Jan Boresta, who runs a Forest Â School in the woodland at the back of All Saint Church in Harrow Weald, to come and tell them all about Forest School [10.07]